Knowing when a thunderstorm is on its way is very key when protecting your home from any damage. There are a few things to look out for whether it be from water damage or fire damage, or structural damage. Most people know to batten down the hatches on your patio or deck when we see windy, stormy weather coming, so here are some tips to check off when going around the house.
- Unplug appliances and electronic equipment when not in use.
- Remove dead or overhanging tree branches that could fall on your house if the tree is struck by lightning.
- Avoid taking a bath or shower, or running water for any other purpose. Metal pipes and plumbing can conduct electricity if struck by lightning.
- Turn off the air conditioner. Power surges from lightning can overload the compressor, resulting in a costly repair job.
- Draw blinds and shades over windows. If windows break due to objects blown by the wind or large hail, the shades will help prevent the glass from shattering into your home.
- Flood proof your home by making the foundation watertight with concrete.
Completing these tasks will help save you costly expenses if storm damage hits the Grand Junction area. Call us at 970-241-8181 if you ever need our services!